First Aid for the Spine Victim
If a spinal injury is suspected do not:
- Move the victim
- Sit lift them up
- Turn them over
- Carry the victim away on your shoulder
- Transport the patient sitting in a car
- Put pillow under the patient’s head
- Immediately call 911
- report all symptoms and the suspicion for spinal injury
- Keep the victim warm and calm
- Transport the patient only on a hard support without moving the spinal cord and only with assistance of trained personal if possible.
In case of unconsciousness or danger of vomiting the danger of suffocation exists. Bring the patient in a recovery position i.e. turn the patient on the side—without moving the spinal column and never move the head by itself.