The Healthy Back
To be healthy the spinal column must:
- Be strong in order to carry your body weight and short term loads throughout your life.
- Be mobile, in order to permit the typical movement of the head, neck, chest and legs.
- Be like a cushion to absorb shocks from running, jumping, falling, external forces, or vibration, e.g. working with machines and driving a car.
- Be able to adapt to long periods sitting and immediate change to another activity.
- Be able to recover after a full night‘s sleep, to it‘s own full size (reabsorbion of fluid in the discs).